FTP Instructions for WS_FTP
If you already have WS-FTP installed click here for instructions
on using this FTP program.
To download a copy of WS_FTP follow these instructions: (This program is not free any more)
here to download WS_FTP. (If you're using Internet Explorer, choose "Save
to Disk" and then click "Save".) Select "Desktop" from the "Save In" list,
then click the Save button.
- Once the download is complete, double-click the icon labeled "ws_ftple"
on your desktop. The installer walks you through purchasing it or giving you a free trial.
- At the welcome screen for WS_FTP LE, click the Continue button.
- The next two windows will determine whether or not you are eligable to use
this free edition of WS_FTP. In the first window, choose the item that best
describes you and hit Next. In the second window, choose all the items that
apply to you. You'll need to choose "At home" and "For personal use" to qualify
to use WS_FTP LE. Click Next.
- The license agreement will now appear. Read through it and choose Accept
- The next window asks where you would like to install this program. In most
cases you can leave it as it is and click the OK button. The next window asks
what you want your local destination folder set to. This will be where the
files you download with WS_FTP are saved to. If you know where the files are
on your hard drive that you use to update your web site, enter that folder
here. If you are unsure, just leave it where it is, and click OK.
- When the next box appears, enter your e-mail address, and click OK.
- Just click OK when it asks you to enter a Program Manager group.
- Click OK when the congratulations window appears. The software is now installed,
and almost ready to use.
You can open WS_FTP by clicking on Start / Programs / Ws_ftp / WS_FTP95LE.
NOTE: The instructions below are for our personal web server, other web servers may have
different requirements. Please contact techinical support if you need more assistance.
- When you open WS_FTP, you are presented with a window that allows you to
set up your account information. Click on the New button to start entering
- Where it says "Profile Name", enter ICS web or any name you wish to identify
your site with.
- Where it says "Host Name/Address" enter people.montana.com if you do
not have a business account, otherwise enter ftp.montana.com, frontpage.montana.com
or enter your domain name. If you need help, please call technical support.
- Leave "Host Type" set to automatic detect.
- "User ID" is where you enter your user name. If you don't know your user
name, it is generally the part before the @ in your e-mail address; i.e.,
if your e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org then your user name is tammie.
If you have an e-mail alias, you must determine your username from your "real"
e-mail address, not the alias.
- Enter your password, and optionally check the "Save Pwd" box just to the
right of the password box if you want the program to save your password, otherwise
you will have to enter it every time you connect to the server.
- Leave the Account field blank and if you desire to add Comments you may.
- Click on the Startup tab, and enter /www into the field for "Initial Remote
- In "Initial Local Directory", enter the location of your web files on your
hard drive. If you don't know where your files are located, just enter C:\
for now. Once you find your web files, you can go back and change this setting
so that WS_FTP automatically starts in that folder.
- Hit the OK button to connect to the web server. If you didn't check the
"Save Pwd" box, it will now ask you for your password.
Every time you open WS_FTP, it will bring you to the connect window (as shown
above). In the future, you should just be able to click the connect button to
get connected. It saves the information you use to connect and automatically
brings that up the next time you start the program.
After getting connected, the first thing you want to do is make sure "AUTO"
is selected. ("AUTO" is located just to the right of "ASCII" and "Binary".)
The use of this program is relatively self-explanatory. The area to the left,
beneath where it says "Local System", is your computer. The right side where
it says "Remote System" is your web space on our server. The two arrows in between
those are for uploading and downloading files.
To upload a file to your web site, select the file on the left side by clicking
it. Then click the right-arrow button ("->"). The file will be sent to the server.
For additional information or to report errors, please contact
me at email@example.com